Monday 1 February 2016

Not Cut out for Paradise

On my way down a track to the beach I came upon a group listening to a talk on how forests are structured. I thought that sounds like Road Scholar.  When they finally worked their way down to the water, sure enough, they were the 18 day hiking group tour. They were grateful for the change in weather and I came away liking the diversity of activity that we had better.  Anyway, I spent the morning exploring the area but by noon the shade had disappeared and it was hot.  I came home, spent the afternoon reading on my deck then went for another trek along the river after dinner. The evening light is lovely. Besides walking and being on the beach there is horseback riding and river kayaking but neither of those appeal.  I’m ready to move on.


From my travels this year I have figured out how I like to travel when I’m on my own and it’s not sitting on a beach.  This place is beautiful, the weather is beautiful, there are some beautiful treks. The trouble is anything longer than an hour or so one way spooks me. There is nothing to be afraid of except my own clumsiness and being on my own if I got hurt. So while in theory I like these beautiful, fairly isolated places, the reality is on my own I need either picturesque towns of about 2-3000 that have different activities that I can join up with, or barring that, I like cities that are walkable, have history, green space, waterfront development, galleries, museums and street action.  I don’t care about shopping or restaurants as eating out alone isn’t a treat.  I like take away or making my own meals. I don’t like driving every day.  I would rather be in a fewer places longer and get to know the rhythm and feel of them.  That’s about it. I want to post this to remind myself for when I’m planning my next trip.

The trail down to the beach. The vines growing around the tree are part of what look like trunks on either side of it.  They start out as small harmless little tendrils but grow huge and eventually strangle the tree



The forest is beautiful



My favourite beach, not many people, interesting limestone cliffs and waterfalls











Above the View from my deck and 
below
 from the side of my motel

No comments:

Post a Comment