Monday 1 February 2016

Well Maybe it Depends on the Kind of Paradise

I do feel like I’ve died and gone to heaven after 8 plus hours of travel on the most amazing route to get here in Pohara next to Abel Tasman Park.  I left Pukakaiki early and the road was clear, mostly twisty, all up and down until it finally flattened out by Westport.  I stopped for gas and groceries. When I asked about the route to Takaka, both places said to go through Nelson. ‘You never know what kind of trouble you might get into up there on those little roads’  



Traffic got heavier as I travelled north but nothing to worry about.  I made regular stops to take pics and stretch my legs, at one stop I took my back pack for a little hike and saw a bridge that would have a good view for pics, it was narrow so I dropped my pack and went out to the middle to shoot.  Felling pleased with myself I walked back headed down the trail and was in the middle of talking with a family and realized I had left the pack behind with my purse, passport, everything I need at the side of the road.  I ran/walked back and luckily it was still there. These mini near disasters are hard on my system and make me wonder at my abilities.

I had a picnic lunch and pressed on.  When I got to the GPS shortcut I knew I wanted the road less travelled.  There was a restaurant on the corner and I stopped to ask their advice.  A tough old doll asked what I was driving and where I had come from.  When I told her she burst out laughing and said then of course I could do it. The road starts by going past acres of hops farms and market gardens.  It took so many turns without a GPS I would never have found the way without it.  The start of the climb up and around Able Tasman soon became a spectacular 12 km climb with 15-35 k/hr switchback turns all the way to the top and then almost the same back to the bottom.  Amazing views and almost no where to stop to see them. I loved it.  From the bottom it was another hour to get here and by then I was tired.


The Sand Castle is a bit park/farm/artsy space. There are sheep and chickens in the meadow beside me, a couple of horses in the field in front of me. Garden’s all around with rustic, artistic little touches but not fancy. There are about half a dozen bachs,  simple cottages. Mine is full of light and painted yellow with blue accents.  I learned this area is an artist colony, I can check it all out tomorrow. At sunset I went down to the beach and found some good reflection shots at low tide. I will be happy here and the weather is great.










No comments:

Post a Comment