Thursday 11 February 2016

Easy Rider

 I was going to get up early to take photo’s in town before I picked up my bike at 8. I did wake up to this sunrise then had breakfast on my balcony and decided not to rush the day.  





When I picked up my bike the cruise ship was already in so I took it for 4 hours rather than 2 and had a glorious ride out to the wetlands.  They have paved paths that go for miles making for a beautiful ride along the Bay to the next town and onto the wetlands with lots of photo stops along the way.  I was going to walk through the wetlands that were created after the earthquake raised the land 3.5 meters.  It is an interesting story but not that interesting a walk so I turned around and felt much better back on my bike. 

I asked a lady if she could take my picture she said 'Sure, how about the dog too?"
So for my dog loving family and friends this one is for you.



This is the working port in the next bay from Napier. It's also where the cruise ships come in so the shuttle buses are busy.




At the next town there is a marina and a working fish warf that is old and picturesque








a

When I returned at noon the it felt like the bike people were my new best friends they were so glad it worked well for me. They told me all about their business and how they are growing it. I felt almost like a local.

From there I took to the streets and went in all the buildings the guide from last night said had good interiors and a few others. They are mostly banks, law and business offices. I just asked and they all said of course, all proud of their places. By mid afternoon I was tired and hungry. The cruisers were long gone and I had lunch at a peaceful outdoor restaurant before walking back to my hotel.

Napier has a bit Art Deco Festival for a week each year. People come from all over the world for it and some people even bring their vintage cars.  For others they can just rent one. This lady couldn't back up any better than I could


I think this was an accounting office


This is the lobby of the theatre. If I was here next week I could see La Boheme. The carpet was specially made in Australia from a small piece found in a closet after the fire.


The dome in a law office


My favourite door in a hotel


Even the bank was glad to let me take pictures


My favourite window



While I love my hotel it is about a 15 min walk along the bay, which is fine but it felt like a long way after all my adventures.  On top of which when I go here I couldn’t find my key. It is the kind that I must have because the power won’t go on unless it’s in the holder and you can’t lock the door without it.  The guy gave me a new one and then I find it under my water bottle in the side pocket of my back pack. Arrrgh, what is it doing in there!

So I’ve crashed and spent the rest of the time on my balcony reading and working on photo’s. I’m a bit nervous about tomorrow, a long bus ride and then having to pick up the car and navigate the traffic through Auckland on Friday rush hour.  If I can get through that the rest of the trip should be easy.




No comments:

Post a Comment