Wednesday 3 February 2016

Perfect Day




It couldn't have been a better day. Said goodbye to my host and went 'over the hill' as the locals call the road over Able Tasman. The sun was burning off the low clouds and except for the kamakazi cement trucks I felt good on the curves.  I stopped at Kaiteriteri Beach for a couple of hours. It is a beautiful beach and the houses up in the hills around it compete for expensiveness.  

I never would have found my way though Nelson to my B&B without my GPS.  For a smaller city 50,000 it covers a wide geographic area.  My B&B, more like an inn, is a wonderful heritage building, old but well cared for and it was a good price. I can't figure out why there is a Lotus and 2 huge BMW motorcycles parked here. I went for a lovely walk along the little river, stopped at the information centre to buy my ferry ticket, found a camera store and bought their last 72mm lens cap then had dinner at an outdoor restaurant right by the cathedral gardens.  When I got back I sat on the porch,worked on photos and enjoyed the sunset. As good as it gets. 





The red and white fields are netting to protect the fruit trees and grape vines.  
This is a big winery area.


This 'beach' is where the first settlers for Nelson were dropped off.  
It is the ugliest most godforsaken area. 
I can't see how they could have unloaded their supplies



Just down the way is Kaiteriteri Beach beautiful
and would have been  easier to disembark from a ship



Later 'settlers' built what look like the most expensive houses here


                                  They must have moved to the present location of Nelson 
                                   which is even further to the east and of course built an 
                                                                 Anglican Cathedral


A beautiful city with beautiful gardens







No comments:

Post a Comment