Sunday 7 February 2016

Wellington



After breakfast I loaded up and went to drop off my car before getting on the ferry.  It was twice as much as I thought it would be with taxes, insurance and GPS and $380 for the repairs to the new wheel and tire, plus they said there was no record that I used points for the base price. They said I would have to take it up with TDExpedia. Arghhh! They did make the deductible $300 rather than the $3000 I had with the cheaper insurance.  So I should be thankful for that.

Farewell to Picton


And farewell to the South Island



Our ferry was carrying boxcars full of salt



And welcome back to the North Island and lava rocks again


The ferry ride was good, way more comfortable than BC Ferries.  I have fallen in love with Wellington and my apartment hotel that is in a perfect location, has a kitchenette, washer/dryer combo and my room overlooks sort of a green belt because the hotel is built into the hill and it is inexpensive.  I’m feeling quite pleased with my choice of accommodation on this trip, especially when I see where I could have been staying.


Wellington is so vibrant, active and it's pleased with itself too.  It may be because there are so many young people here or that it’s a long weekend and after all it’s summer in the city.

The Waterfront is amazing in Wellington


A group of girls were having a stagette and when the pub started playing what could be stripper music a guy who was there with his buddies got up and started to do a stripe tease dance. He wasn't professional and didn't know her but the crowd went giddy. It seemed innocent and fun at the time. I'm probably not being PC but the girl seemed so happy afterwards I think it was good.



So did their friends 


There were Fringe type entertainers




The bridge is covered with Love locks



Young people were diving off the the docks



And there were at least half a dozen sting rays in the shallows by the boat launch



In the Civic Square there is astro turf that people were using for all sorts of activities


And as always sculpture and poetry abounds 










No comments:

Post a Comment