Tuesday 2 February 2016

Just Being Here

Pohara On Golden Bay

I have had a lovely day.  The rooster woke me this morning and I’m writing this listening to the birds and the sheep calling to one another.  I took my time getting ready this morning and by the time I got on the road it was hot.  I was headed to the Farewell Split, the longest sand bar in the world but part way there realized there would be no shade and even hotter on the sand dunes which would be hard to climb.  I turned around and headed to Able Tasman where there is a great hike along up to Wainui Falls. 

By the time I got thee it was hot, hot, hot and just a little cooler in the shade. Luckily a lot of the trail is in the forest along the river but half way up I was dripping in sweat.  I tried to take it slow and easy but that is hard. Made harder watching some young people ‘boulder jumping’  There are a lot of big rocks by the river and they were leaping from one to another. I kept thinking if they lost their footing they would break a leg or worse but when they moved closer to me they were full of talk of the technicalities and ‘reading the rocks’ and totally pumped about finding the next set   I felt happy for them, there are worse ways for kids to spend their time. 








The trail to the falls was a steady uphill climb that got tougher near the top interrupted by a great suspension bridge. I probably should have stopped but was glad I made to the end.  It is a pretty high waterfall and I hope the images catch that. I felt a little wobbly on the way down took stops along the way and encouraged others who were on their way up  One young woman almost 9 months pregnant and in tight yoga clothes was hiking up on her own.  I started to tell her it wasn’t far and she jumped in saying she was having no trouble.  Maybe she was trying to bring on her labour. 

I have internet access at the picnic area.  When I got home I checked my email, and visited with the owner, who was in the British Army for 25 years and trained at Suffield and Wainwright.  All he remembered about Edmonton was the Mall.  How embarrassing. I did laundry and am waiting for it to cool off a bit so I can go down to the beech and try some more sunset shots. Still no clouds. I’m sorry I have to go tomorrow. I would be happy to be here for a few more days.


I haven’t said much about how much I am missing my family and friends. So much is happening that I feel like I’m not being there for and could help with if I was home or even if I had better internet and facetime/hangout access.  I called NZ Air and apparently I got such a good deal on my flight it would cost more to fly home early than it would to stay for the full time.  So I’m 'stuck with' having to make the best of being in a beautiful country at the right time of year.  Maybe now I can relax into the place.





No comments:

Post a Comment