Saturday 30 January 2016

Living Life Like a Simile





My writing friends have suggested I try being a little more literary in some of my posts. So here is a mix of styles.

I wonder what it is in me that wants to find the familiar in unfamiliar places.  As I travel around NZ I continually think ‘these rolling hills look just like the ones around Stettler’, or ‘this road like the one to Kaslo’ or ‘the cliffs and rocks like those along the west coast’.  I emailed a friend that this country all looks just like Alberta and BC.  She replied ‘but your pictures don’t look like anything in Canada’.  

Do newcomers, did my grandparents and great grandparents feel the same way coming so far from home, seeking the confidence that comes from familiar surroundings.  Tonight I can see the stars for the first time. There are so many, so bright, so beautiful and I don’t recognize any of them.  Unlike the Maori’s I would not know how to follow them back home

It’s been a long day. The trip from Fox Glacier to here took 8 hours, almost all driving.  I stopped in Hokitika the home of NZ Jade to look at the carvings.  There are some beautiful pieces and they are way out of my price range. The funniest thing, given what I just wrote, is that the clearest, most ‘green’  Jade is imported from Canada and many of the pieces I liked most were made with rock from my home country.

When I finally got to Greymouth the car transfer was fast and I was on my way in no time. I was so happy to be out of the rain forest into sunshine, big waves and big skies. At my first pull out  I went to take pictures, came back to ‘my’ car opened the back door to put way my equipment and wondered where the extra bags came from. I was in someone else’s car, same color and make as my old one. The people arrived just behind me looking bemused and I was mortified trying to explain. They looked at me 'kindly'. 




My accommodation here is my favourite so far.  There are only six units. They are simple, well designed, pine walls, high, sloped ceiling with lots of windows and a deck  looking out onto the forest.  It is very peaceful and I can hear the waves. When I checked in the owner told me somewhat wistfully that there were 200 dolphins playing on the beach if I wanted to go right away as he wished he could do, so I did. The Pancake Rocks are small in area. The walk around them can be done in 15 min.   From the bluffs we could only see 10-20 dolphins and they were so far out they were like little jewels popping up for a few seconds.  I went back again for sunset and it was better, fewer people, all with cameras clicking away. 


Actually, I don't think this is a Kiwi, another flightless bird though







There are fences all along the trail and signs saying do not climb over the barrier.  Well to get good images you really do have to get over and out on the ledges.  In a couple of areas I can see the wear of others having climbed the barricades and I know I would have done it in my earlier years but not today. They still talk about the one survivor in 1985 who fell into a blowhole and lived. Unlike him I know the odds are not in my favour.

You can see how easy it would be to get out there just a little further....


And then just jump from rock to rock out to the edge 



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you didn't get out to the edge. Glad you didn't but still... Loving the coastline pictures. Can't wait to have a photo show on the projector.

    ReplyDelete