Wednesday 13 January 2016

Maramaratotara Bay, Cathedral Cove and the Hot Pools

Well what a day it was.  I wasn't sure whether I would be going with a group today or tomorrow and wanted to make the most of what was a clear sunny day.  I took the little ferry across the way and headed up the road. 










I





I expected to see a trail leading over the hill but somehow missed it. The road was ok, no traffic and soon beautiful views of the first bay on the other side the whole walk of about 45 min was lovely. I stopped on the beach and watched the locals for awhile before heading back.  There was a perfect restaurant, bakery and sculpture garden across the way so I stopped to get the best zuchini and cream cheese muffin I've ever had.  


























I asked for directions to to track head I had missed on the way out. Their reaction that "you might find it a bit steep and rugged" should 
have been my first clue. I assured them I was from Canada and used to that.  The second clue was that it was such a small sign I don't know how anyone would find it. At the beginning there were stairs, lots of stairs.  In between there were lots and lots of roots. As I got higher they became slipperier form seepage and from the rain the last few days. I wasn't paying proper attention, slipped on a root and did a face plant. I was most worried about my camera which was all muddy. I had scraped my knees and my nose. I didn't know it but blood trickled down my face and knee. I was a total mess.  I cleaned the camera as best I could on my shirt and kept going, a bit shaky but more attentive. I didn't meet anyone until I got to the top.  The views were wonderful. 






I thought the way down would be easier but most of it was steeper and wetter.  There were more people coming up as I was on the way down.  The only thing I can say is that everyone looked at me as a cautionary tale.  When I finally got back to the ferry another old girl leans over and says "Well dearie, took a bit of tumble did you?' 


 This was the least of it

At the front desk the man said he just got a message that my ride was on the way and would pick me up in an hour.  I had a shower, cup of tea and a bite to eat then lay on the grass and rested until the van came.  Today there was only one other Spanish couple who lived in England and were here on their honeymoon so again I got shotgun and was so glad. It took us almost an hour to get to Cathedral Cove and I needed the time to recoup.  It is a long walk down to the Cove through beautiful forest, huge ferns, pines and palm trees. At first I was worried about what kind of trail it was as every picture I've seen of the Cove has no one around, well it must be 6 am when they take it because it was really busy and the trail easy just long and lots of stairs in parts.  It was the first hot day and I sent the others ahead and took my time getting down.  We had lunch on the beach, explored around and headed back up.  I was pleased at how well I did.  


These are the coves we hiked down to


I couldn't get good images of the trees but the ferns were over my head in many places


The Entrance to the Cathedral


This is a rock my mom took a picture of and kept framed in her living room


This is the rock I liked.  


The cathedral from the other side


It was a long climb up, kayaking would be the easy way

By then it was around 4pm and we headed to Hot Water Beach.  It is another long beautiful beach and about 200 yards of it has vents of hot water coming up to the surface.  At low tide everyone brings shovels and digs out a bath. The hot water oozes up and it is like a giant playground. It was a hoot and the pictures explain it better than my words can. It was a bit crowded for me so I explored further down the beach where the surfers were. From a distance everyone looks like a colony of penguins on a nesting site. When the tide comes in it washes the beach clean and the cycle starts all over again.


I don't know anywhere else this happens but it was special since it will all get washed away in two hours




My group did the work I did the photography



A hundred yards down the beach and this is what it's like




The rocks along the shoreline are complex



A great end to a great day


No comments:

Post a Comment