Monday 25 January 2016

Milford Sound to Queenstown



We had one of the best day’s ever going up the Sound.   It was about a 2 hour drive from our hotel then afterwords another 4 hour drive to go onwards to Queenstown.  It rained all day but the scenery along the way just kept getting better the closer we got to the Sound.  The whole day was a photography feast even if the light wasn't great on the water.






















The waterfalls were pouring off the mountains everywhere from rivulets to sheets.  It was a brilliant idea to leave early as our boat was less than half full.  We had box lunches waiting for us on the boat, which we ate right away. It poured rain the whole trip and the wind was over 50 k and gusting so strongly it blew smaller waterfalls up. We could take pictures from the top deck if we could handle the wind and a few of us did.  Being outside was exciting and made the spectacularness of  the waterfalls feel very real as I continually wiped off my lens.  By the time I came in I needed to be wiped off too.
















Betsy and Martin Braved going under these falls



















 The seals weren't bothered  and neither was I although we both enjoyed a rest when it was over





When we got back to our room I lost track of time and was late for the bus to take us up on the gondola for dinner. I felt like I let the team down. We are doing well as a group.  I left my room in such a hurry I forgot the card for my camera but it didn’t matter the clouds were so low we couldn’t see much from the top. If the weather was better it would have been wonderful views over the city, lake and mountains, the food was good.  It was a long day for us but a longer one for our bus driver and our guides.  Later start tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment