Sunday 17 January 2016

First Tour Day


We had a later start as some people came in on an early morning flight.  It gave me time to go to the tourist bureau and book my accommodation, and bus routes for the north island after this tour.  They were so helpful made me happy. The orientation was clear, both guides are experienced and organized. There are 24 in our group and come from many different states. Most will be going onto the Australian tour afterwards.  

We did a walking tour of Auckland in the afternoon and our guide gave us a good history of the city. We strolled through the University, a park, the art gallery, the NZ broadcasting building and the 'older' part of Auckland. I had a good time and I think the intent was to keep the troops moving until they could go to bed early and get a good nights sleep.  All our meals were buffet style in the dining room at the top of the hotel, a big plus to have such beautiful views and the food is good.

My favourite stop was at the NZ Broadcasting building. I was so busy taking pictures the others had all left. As it was Sunday the building closed at 2. When I went to leave all the doors were locked.  I called out but no one was around. It took awhile to find an exit with a   a button that would open the door. 

   


On the wall behind this wheel are famous quotes that capture what New Zealand is about.
Kiwi's are rightfully proud of Sir Edmond Hillary and below is what he said after climbing Mt. Everest.  Above his quote is a Maori poem with a different kind of sentiment.


I've never seen such ivy on a building.  It looked spooky


The original governors house on the University campus


The Cathedral


Lots of sculpture in the park


My other favourite building, the Art Gallery



The Maori art and some of the contemporary art I liked the best







This is some wall art on a side street.  NZ was the first country to give women the vote




No comments:

Post a Comment