Friday 15 January 2016

Best Day in Whitianga


I woke up early saw it was cloudy and went back to sleep, when I awoke an hour later it was a beautiful blue sky day.  Every one said they were so happy to have summer back after what they said had been 2 weeks of misery.  I wouldn't say the same although yesterday I could have done without.  I packed up and left my luggage at the front desk, took the ferry back to do the trek I should have done in the beginning.  It was a great climb up to the lookout, or what I thought was the lookout.  It was the highest point on the cliff but apparently I could have taken a gentle slop down to a point farther along. I missed that but had a lovely view in all directions. I was a little bushed from the climb so lay in the shade listened to the birds and watched the clouds go by.  It was just lovely and I can't get over how few bugs there are, no one has screens on their windows and I haven't seen one mosquito and no flies.


My tough climb up the side of the cliff I marked on the map 
Of the two treks I made the second was more enjoyable


My little ferry


I love how these flowers grow wild everywhere 



The Goal for today


The view from the top


The erosion at the bottom


Any way after I was revived I went down towards Cooks beach but the closer I got the more developed it looked and that had no appeal so I back tracked to my smaller bay and walked along the water checking out the action with all the families and missed my grand daughters.  They all would have had so much fun. I had my lunch on the beach but went over to my favourite restaurant/gallery and had their famous carrot cake and a big pot of tea.  With free wifi I could catch up on email and share my beautiful day with my friends.  I finally headed back to the ferry this time with my body and ego intact. 


I've never seen a boat that could just drive out of the water, besides the Ducks in Boston


Tubing is a big deal for kids



 Paddle Boat lessons



My Favourite Sculptures at my favourite restaurant




Even the bathroom toilet was a work of art

d

Then back at the dock another work of art, so to speak

The ferry was just loading when I got to warf and when we got to the other side the fishing boats were just coming in.  Itt was quite exciting in a gross kind of way to see them filleting the fish, measuring the mackerel and weighing the pride of the fish and the guys that caught them. 



The gulls went wild when the fisherman started to through fish pieces into the water but most were too big for the gulls and they had to let them sink, may pick them up on shore later.


]

I think this one was 90 pounds caught by a Russian  When some one asked what he was going to do with all that fish another guy shouted out 'send it back to Russia'.  The fisherman was angry and embarrassed. It was a sour note that spoiled his day.  



This big knife hook was found in the fish's stomach everyone who was a fisherman was very interested.  Not sure why.


This guy went to catch a kingfisher but got a 107kg Marlin instead.  Pretty happy guy!



I made a last shell collection walk along 'my' beach, got a take away salad just before my take away ride came to pick me up.  A beautiful drive back at the end of the day.


I thought I was staying in the Tree house but it was the Green house. I have a lovely room with doors opening onto my own little garden. Great end to a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment