Tuesday 26 January 2016

Queenstown

This morning we took a 1912 coal steamer ship up the lake to a sheep ranch. The weather was still overcast but better than yesterday.  I really like these trips on the water and this ship in particular with so much history.  The engineer said it would be the same type of engine my grandpa stoked when he came to Canada. This ship originally provided supplies to the ranchers all along the lake. When we arrived we saw a sheep shearing demonstration and a young guy talked about training sheep dogs and demonstrated how he used signals to his dog to herd the sheep.  With a big herd a sheep herder can be working 10 dogs at a time.  We had another big buffet lunch. I'm doing much better with eating this week but I will be glad to get back to my normal pattern.

The 1912 Steamer SS Earnshaw


The Walter Peak Station (ranch)


Sheep stay quiet if they are on their bum


But not happy with the indignity


And glad to get away when it's over


Even if it means getting hearded by
 the dog



This cow was all personality.


Alpacas are popular and cute



Jim and Lloyd or local guide


On the way back we could see how the ship worked.  The coal stoker


And the rope splicer


When we got back to port there was a wedding shoot going on. Looked like an arranged marriage.


'

This is the New Zealand Rose that my Sister In Law and her Sister used to give Mom for Mother's Day each year. 

After we got back I missed a walk with my friend but found a good trail along the lake back to our hotel.  Everyone seemed to be using the time to organize and pack up as there was a line up for the laundry,  We are all either going home or at the half way point and tomorrow either leaving or going onto Wellington and Australia.

I'm a bit anxious about setting out on my own.  It has been easy companionship and effortless moving from one activity to the next. I think it will be easier once I'm on the road but this transition time is unexpectedly hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment