Saturday 16 January 2016

Last Day in Coromandel and New Chums Beach

The Tree House hosts made a huge breakfast for the 5 of us.  Everything home made, most from their garden.  Lots of talk about travel plans.  I packed up and walked into town  for the trip to New Chums Beach.  Our ‘group’ today was one other quiet young woman from Germany who headed out quickly on her own. We were dropped off at a beach where we had the option of just hanging out or we could wade across a creek and walk the 2km trail along the waters edge to New Chums, which of course was the point of the whole trip. 

 What I failed to notice on the map was the caution that we shouldn’t try to go there within 2 hours on either side of high tide and at the time it was half an hour from high tide.  The trail was another very rocky, rooty on but fairly flat. The problem came in two places where the waves were going over some big rocks and they were wet and slippery.  I was not the only one who missed or ignored the caution so I just waited a moment until some guys came along to help me across the tricky bits. There were also a couple of big knarley trees fallen across the trail right at the edge. Anyway it was a good hike and it forced me to pay attention.







When I got to the beach it was lovely.  Not many people, big trees for shade and just the sound of the surf.  I relaxed into the place for a couple of wonderful hours .  I miss my grand daughters most at times like these.  They would all love playing in the waves, using body boards, kayaks and paddle boards.  It is Saturday and most of the people here are locals, it’s just what everyone does on the weekend .  The way back was easier, tide a bit lower, everyone friendly and eager to help.  I had time to walk the beach where we were getting picked up and get some photos. 











Everything went quickly as soon as we got back to Coromandel. We transferred to the big bus to catch the ferry back to Auckland.  Sarni had gone to the B&B and picked up my bags and Willie drove the big bus.  I have been so impressed with their knowledge, organization and just the way they operate the business.  I was really lucky to have had them introducing me to their part of the country.  The ferry ride back to Aukland also seemed to go quickly helped by clear blue skies and familiarity. My hotel is a block from the ferry terminal and when I checked in they said my group was expecting me for dinner on the top floor.  Talk about a culture shift from hanging out on the beach.


My room is very nice, with a view of the city skyline.  The dining room has great views in all directions.  There were several tour groups there, all with name tags and at the 'first night, getting to know each other', stage. I met my new best friends and I think they will be fine.  There will be 24 of us, most going onto Australia after these two weeks in NZ.  

I am glad to be writing this as a way of saying goodbye to the first part of  my trip and preparing for the second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment