Wednesday 2 September 2015




Regina




The road from Moose Jaw to Regina is flat prairie and the sky a flat blue. There were fewer trees, fewer wetlands and fewer bugs on the windshield. The long straight road kept pulling my gas pedal down until I had to turn on the cruise control.  My spirit is restless to be somewhere unfamiliar. It didn’t help that when I drove into Regina I could have been back in Edmonton.

I had wanted to go to Depot, the RCMP training station and with such a rich history it did not disappoint.  The museum is in a beautiful new building.  There were great displays, a movie and a tour around the whole training site.  There was even a graduation ceremony on the parade grounds that we attended with the families.  It was really touching.  When it was over I felt finished with Regina and just wanted to be on the road again. 


The Parade Grounds

The Graduating Class
The Original Chapel
The Stained Glass

Early Air Transport


The Newbies


Brandon

When I left it was mid afternoon and I thought I could make it to Brandon in 3 hours but it was closer to 5.  When I found the campground it was on the highway, grubby and creepy.  I was too tired to keep going so headed for the Walmart I passed on the way through town.  I asked the lady at the service desk if I could sleep in the parking lot.  She said ‘of course dear’ and I instantly loved her and Walmart.  There were half a dozen other ‘campers’ already there.  I went exploring and if there wasn’t  a large park and bird sanctuary across the street.  When I got back it was quiet, felt peaceful and safe.  It was a perfect end to a long day.  I should say besides the campground I was impressed with Brandon, a bustling, pretty little town and was glad I had discovered Walmart camping.  

Winnipeg


Was only a couple of hours further on.  Most of the places I wanted to see were within bike riding distance of my starting point, the Museum of Human Rights. I spent four hours photographing the building, going on a tour and having a wonderful late lunch in the dining room.  The tour had people from England, Germany and Australia, old, young, disabled. There was a lot of focus on first nations and lots of honesty about our history of lying about treaties and abuse in the schools.  They even had a red dress display.  It was like the honesty of the Chinese experience. 


People writing welcome in their own lanuage

The Red Dress Project for Missing and Murdered Aboriginal Women



Beautiful Alabaster walkways


Polar Bear Art Project along the River


Dragon Boat in in fron of the Cathedral


When I cam out it was still hot.  I rode over to St. Boniface to see the Cathedral and Bobbie’s family memorial. It was impressive.  Then I rode back and along the river to the Forks and further up to the legislature and polar bear sculptures.  The river was full of dragon boat racers doing time trials and pleasure boats.  So many families and cyclists on the path it was just great.  By the time I got back to the van rush hour was long over and I drove easily up to Birds Hill Provincial park.  Probably better than the city campgrounds but I have yahoos partying nearby.  The good thing about the van is when I close the window I can hardly hear them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment