Sunday 30 August 2015

Saskatoon




So how does Saskatchewan get such a bad rap for boring prairies?  The countryside is beautiful,  great patterns flowing across hillsides from rows of crops waiting to be bailed.  The smell of new mown hay along the highways. Late in the day wetlands full of migrating birds. The only downside is that there are too few places to pull over to stop and take pictures.


I loved Saskatoon and I love my navigation system.  I wanted to go to the Mandel Gallery and my navigator guided me effortlessly there.  Although it was closed for renovations it was right next to the river.   I jumped on my bike and road the bike paths all the way through town.  It was a beautiful day and everyone was out.  There were all kinds of activities, a fall fair, kayakers, skate board park, a river boat for tourists, sculptures, and my favourite a graffiti wall under the bridge for people to write "What I want to see before I die".  The paths lead across the river to the University which was just beautiful.  What a great city.


A great graffiti space under the bridge

Dumont is a big hero here
Play Park along the river
Moose Jaw

Riding my bike perked me up for the drive to Moose Jaw where my navigator found another good campground in Wakamow Valley. It is a big park, my site is right on the little river, and a 5 minute bike ride to down town. Having my bike makes all the difference.  Everything feels so accessible and easy especially when I want a break from driving.  I wanted to see the Tunnels and expected I would be too late on a Sunday but when I got to the office they were still open and I was able to get on a tour of the Chinese Tunnels right away. The guide, who's picture said she was 'Broadway Bound', did a great job for her audience of  one.  Being alone down there without the distractions of others made the reality of their lives all seem so real, an ugly time in our history. When we finished the place was packed and they were oversold for the rest of the evening.  I was lucky.


Afterwards, in need of a perk me up, I went to the Temple Gardens to see the spa.  Very nice and I could have gone for a swim but too little too late. I was content to ride back,  put my house in order and happy to  have internet connection to write this.



No comments:

Post a Comment