Sunday 20 September 2015

Ottawa

Ottawa



Leaving Algonquin we had clear sky this morning and as we headed across the bay we passed flocks of birds heading out just like us.  I’ve had a great time being off the grid. I would write about how quiet it is but that isn’t true.  Sounds I don’t usually hear are amplified as the loons race across the surface of the water or the way their wings whoosh over our heads, and their noisy chases to scare away would be competitors. Then there are the soft sounds of water under the dock, or lapping on the rocks, The soothing sounds of rain and wet branches tapping on the roof, the irritation of squirrels running to and fro, and the spooky sounds of small sounds like dead branches breaking in the dark.  The chance to spend time in such a place and just listen is magical.  Beautiful sunsets make a difference too.  Rosa and Greg have been so good to me especially as they have a hectic six weeks ahead of them.

After we unloaded, and took me back to my van I planned my next stage on the roads less travelled.  I know I have a good route when the big trucks are few and the motorcycles are many and that was the case today.  I managed to make a 3 hour drive curve around the countryside for 5 hours.  Part of that was a detour into Arnprior.  I had many good times at the National Emergency Preparedness Centre there for several years before and after the Tornado in 1987.  However that was a long time ago and Arnprior has grown from a small town into a bedroom community for Ottawa since then. 

I had no clue where to go to find the place so stopped and asked an older guy walking down the street.  He said ‘Sure I know where it’s supposed to be but its not there anymore.  Why do you want to see it?” I told him for nostalgia reasons.  He says “Well you had better go then, it will be easier if I take you than if I try to tell you.  I got nothing to do right now so if you want I can just climb in and show you the place” I said sure and off we went.  Such a good time as he had been born in the town.  He took me to all the spots he thought I might have gone to and gave me the history of the town and the Boeing manufacturing plant that had grown up on part of what had been my territory.  When we got to the main gate he made me get out so he could take pictures of me in front of it. ‘It will be good to remember what it was and what it looks like now’.  The Training Centre had been a WWII air force training base repurposed after the war.  It hadn’t been fancy but the nature of our work there had us feeling like a band of brothers, and sisters by the time we were finished a weeks worth of training and simulations.  My volunteer guide was delightful.  He had just returned from Iran, Dubai and Ethiopia.  He said there was nothing like a journey to keep us feeling alive.  When I dropped him off at his home he wished me many more adventures in the time ahead. 

I zipped into the outskirts of Ottawa directly to my campground.  It is great, far enough off the hwy not much road noise, the sights are well-maintained, clean showers, washrooms and even laundry facilities that I desperately need.  I can ride my bike on the trails all the way into Ottawa, 2hr one way…too long but I drove to the waterfront and had a beautiful ride along the river until sunset.   



Ottawa Day 2

What started out to be a great day is now a potential disaster.  I had a good morning doing errands, catching up and getting organized.  In the afternoon I wanted to ride my bike downtown. I drove in looking for a parking area close enough.  The turnoff came too quickly off the bridge.  It was just a narrow road that curved directly back under with a low ceiling.  I got out to check the height and it looked all right and there wasn’t a way to turn around.  I inched my way through, parked and opened the vent on the roof while I had a little rest.  When I checked the trail out I realized I was too far out of town jumped back in the van and headed out forgetting the vent was open.  Now I’ve broken it and every RV place in Ottawa has a 2 week wait.  One guy recommended a place in a small town not far from my campground and when I called they agreed to look at it in the morning.  So I am happy about that. 




I found a great parking place about half an hour ride from downtown and had a great time along the river and up the locks.  Went to the Supreme Court, the changing of the guard at the Cenotaph, Spark Street, and Byefield Etc.  I saved the gallery for tomorrow.   At dinnertime I rode back to the van and took pictures of the sculpture garden.  Rush hour traffic is terrible so I had a picnic by the water and when the light softened took more pictures.  When I got back to the campground it was almost dark, I put in a load of laundry, looked for my phone and it’s gone.  I must have left it by the river somewhere.  I feel sick about it.  Gary has tried to call it but just gets voice mail; at least it’s still alive.  I ‘chatted’ with TELUS who could only disable the connection but I have a thumb lock so that isn’t helpful.  Chris texted me from work got my info for Apple’s ‘find my phone’ site and found it!!! He sent me a map picture of exactly where it is.  Too late for me to go but will get up first thing in the morning.


                                Never so happy to find my phone.  Thanks Chris!

Ottawa Day 3

Woke up at 5:30 and drove to the park.  The gates were locked.  I parked in front, jumped on my bike and rode to the place the map said it would be.  The sun was barely poking up but I found it in the grass right where it was supposed to be.  So relieved and so grateful for Chris taking the time at the end of a 12 hour shift to help me. 


From there I went back to camp, had breakfast and started out to the RV place supposedly a 12 minute drive, but not at rush hour.  After trying to cross the main highway for what felt like forever I turned around to find a different route that was an exercise in frustration.  When I finally got there they said I had lost my front solar panel.  They waterproofed the roof, fixed the fan and tried to find out why the microwave wouldn’t work.  It took all morning and by the time I got back to camp I felt defeated in spite of the guy telling me he knew where I got into trouble, it happens to others but I know I could have been more careful.

It is a hot day and I took some time to text my tale of woe to friends, read a book and recharged my batteries.  I went to the Arboretum and rode my bike along the canal.  It was all-beautiful and would be spectacular in the spring or when the leaves change but my heart wasn’t in the moment.  I’ll finish this now and maybe tomorrow will be a better day. 






No comments:

Post a Comment