Tuesday 15 September 2015

Kilarney




Amazing what a day of rest can do.  Woke up in the morning ready for the next adventure and wanting to catch up to Ray and Nancy.  It was a long but easy route there.  I think the area around Sudbury didn’t have trees for a long time but there are what look like scrub forests growing all around and lots of road construction.  In fact I think every bridge is Ontario is being upgraded or rebuilt.  I haven’t had access to my clothes since Kenora because the cupboard they are stored in won’t open.  In desperation I spent an hour in Sault St Marie trying to find Christie’s RV service as Strider’s gps refused to find it.  Considering he is supposed to take me anywhere there are times when he is a delicate prince. 


When I got to the campground in Killarney there they were with a sign on their camp post.  After a day behind the wheel I was ready for a hike and we started out around the lake.  Turns out we were on a trail that could take us 7-10 days, so like them to find that one.  We bush wacked over to the high rocks overlooking the lake and while Nancy and I explored and took photo’s Ray made Inuksuits.  We got back just at sunset and took the canoe out for a beautiful paddle.  We came home in the dark watching the stars come out.  Perfect end to the day.




Killarney is really all about the rock

We had a great morning took the canoe out again to see what we missed last night in the dark. I sat in the middle and took pictures, tough life. Lots of canoeist were heading out on multiday paddles and lots of kayakers as well. Later we drove over to another hiking area and that led to Georgian Bay.  Chikanishing Creek trail has  lots of tree roots  and lots of pink granite on the rock climbs  It was a great hike and a spectacular view at the end. 









Both the paddling and the last hike couldn’t have done on my own so I was grateful for the opportunity of doing it with friends.  


Huntsville


It was a pretty drive out of Killarney then down almost to Perry Sound and over to Huntsville.  Narrow winding roads were made to link little communities not for speed.,  I liked it.  We stopped for dinner in Huntsville, and shopped at a trendy little grocery that reminded me of what they have in New England.  I also checked out a yarn store, couldn’t decide so bought both, and I really don’t know when I’m going to have the time to knit anything on this trip.  Nancy’s place on Harp Lake is lovely and restful. 

We woke up the next morning to sunshine 
over the lake.  Nancy and I walked the road around it and I had my 10,000+ steps in before 11.  The ferns were graceful and green not the scraggy brown they would be in Edmonton this time of year.  It has been a good visit and I wish I had paced myself better.  There is so much to do and see in this area. Hard to leave so soon.




Even the garbage cans are friendly












No comments:

Post a Comment