Tuesday 15 September 2015

Algonquin Friday



We woke up this morning to sunshine over the lake.  Nancy and I walked the road around it and I had my 10,000+ steps in before 11.  The ferns were graceful and green not the scraggy brown they would be in Edmonton this time of year.  It has been a good visit and I wish I had paced myself better.  There is so much to do and see in this area. Hard to leave so soon.

It is only an hour and a half drive from Huntsville to Whitney through Algonquin Park.  I kept saying to myself, ‘After all these years here I am actually in Algonquin’.  The drive is all forest, rock, lakes, canoes and kayaks.  When I got to Whitney Rosa and Greg were waiting in the little restaurant where the staff agreed to let me leave Strider.  It is about a half hour drive along a rough forestry road to the spot where we leave the vehicle, From there Greg takes the small boat to the cottage, bails out the larger boat, which is full of water from the storms that have gone through since the last time they were there comes back to pick up us and our gear.  We go across the bay, around a little island and into the next bay where their old fishing camp comes into view.  It is wonderful, 5 cabins with screen porches off the front.  The main cabin built in 1938 the others over the years.  We settle in, swim off the dock, and later have dinner on the screened porch watching the sunset and later dessert by the light of a kerosene lantern. 


Algonquin Saturday

Beautiful light coming in from the skylights above my bed woke me up in the morning.  We expected rain but the weather was still good and Greg suggested we visit the natural museum, have lunch and go for a hike through the spruce bog. It was all good.  We also stopped at my van as I had forgotten my camera, boots and a couple of other things in the excitement of getting together.  On the way back the weather turned, temperature dropped and the wind came up. When we got home it was good to have the heating stove, Rosa made a wonderful dinner the cabin smelled great.  I started knitting a cowel, made it through one row I think this will be a project for later in the trip.  At bedtime I was glad for the warm duvet.

Algonquin Sunday

The weather has finally caught up with us and rained all day.  It was cozy indoors and made for a productive day.  We all read in the morning took a break for lunch then I worked on photo’s all afternoon, Greg did chores and Rosa cleared out things in preparation for the end of season.   We had lots of time to talk, another great dinner, more visiting, then time for bed.  I’m glad this trip isn’t about leaves as I am at least 2 weeks too early here.    








No comments:

Post a Comment