Monday 7 September 2015


Quetico




A slow start this morning, hard to say goodbye after such a good visit.  It was such a beautiful drive down Lake of the Woods, stopped at a gift shop and bought five different kinds of freshly made fudge.  I hadn’t expected farming country by Ft. Francis, a pretty town on the US border. From there it was almost an easy drive to Quetico.  An OPP stopped me for speeding.  He was young and in no hurry asking me where I was from and where I was going and impressed I was travelling alone. His heart wasn’t into giving out tickets and told me he was giving me ‘a stern warning’.  I reciprocated by putting Strider on cruise control for the rest of the trip. 

At Quetico I love the quiet.  I went for a walk through the woods along the lake, almost forgot to be afraid of bears, then got on my bike and reconnoitered the whole place.  The park staff  I met were excited about getting people to come to ‘the pony show’, which when I found it consisted of 2 ponies in a temporary coral.  Just as well, it was a lovely night to be out and the photography was good on the water.









Rossport


Tonight was supposed to be Sleeping Giant but when I went down the narrow road to get to the park it felt boring, just trees and more trees.  At the turnoff to the highlights of the park the road was gravel so I turned around and headed hear to this perfect little campsite right on the shore of Lake Superior.   Ross Port was one of the places the Group of Seven often came to paint. I am told the town is beautiful, has a wonderful restaurant and the view from my campsite is wonderful.  I can attest to neither as the fog is very heavy.  Many of the campers have kayaks or canoes to get to the islands just off shore. 


The Terry Fox Monument 

There I found my first red Maple

The Group of Seven Country

The view from my campsite in the morning

It was another beautiful drive to get here.  Lots of steep up and downs.  There must have been lots of blasting to make the road and it left many different coloured rock formations.  I think a geologist would like this, there is also an amethyst mine on the way. Although it is foggy and humid it wasn’t cold.  At first I tried to take photos in the fog, walked and climbed on the rock along the beach.  Later I sat by the water with the waves coming in, talked on the phone, answered emails, read Greg’s new book and relaxed. 







No comments:

Post a Comment