Wednesday 5 October 2016

Victoria 2


So dear reader I'm winding down and moving from adventure seeker to thinking of Thankgiving (and how much I have to be thankful for) family and home.  Victoria is a good place to make this transition. Today was perfect slow, warm and sunny. I took the water taxi downtown, shopped, had lunch at an outdoor restaurant and walked along the inner harbour. I listened to snippets of conversation from people on the street, table mates and fellow walkers. Two topics dominated the conversations: relationships, whether to start or end them; and real estate, whether to buy or sell, interest rates, capital gains and/or the new tax on foreign owners. I can't remember ever overhearing or even paying attention to what others are talking about. Interesting for today anyway.

 Having spent so much time hear for so many years I thought I knew this city pretty well. I can find my way around, have my favourite places, parks and people. But in the 20 minute taxi ride I learned a lot and will share it with you below.  

Victoria has half the rain, or twice the sun as Vancouver. The bank of clouds to the south I always worry about and which doesn't usually make it here is held back by the mountains in Washington where they get more than 10 feet of rain per year. 


The houses at this marina are the largest, between 14-2400 sq feet, best built and most expensive.  They are hooked up to city water, gas and electric and their connections are flexible enough to raise and lower the 10 foot tides. 


The lease for the RV park is up this year and there
is a good chance it will not be renewed


Purple Martins nest in the bird houses on posts in
the water beside the RV park. They migrate to Brazil for the winter.


The stone retaining wall on this part of the harbour walkway was
designed by the original owner of the house behind it 
to look like a ship. The family still owns and lives in the house.


This is going to be a new marina for 28 extra large luxury yaughts 
Don't get me started. It is also being built on the north shore.


The north shore of the harbour is for non motorized 
watercraft only which accounts for all the kayaks and paddle boards





No comments:

Post a Comment