Tuesday 4 October 2016

Tofino and Surrounds

The start of the day was cold and rainy.  I snuggled in and read my book for a couple of hours then headed toward Tofino.   On the way I drove up to the top of Radar Hill and found the plaque below live in Edmonton, where the Princess Pats are stationed, and had no knowledge of this. 




Next was my favourite reason to come to Tofino, the Botanical Garden.  It was built by a businessman who came to Tofino for a holiday, fell in love with the place and literally carved the garden out of the rain forest so respectfully that it kept the integrity of the space.  There is a little place to eat with great internet which was how I made my last posts.  

There is something joyous, off beat, and touchingly sad about the whole garden





Part of the trail verges onto Griese Bay the second largest staging area for bird migration in North America  They built a couple of blinds but this time of year quite and peaceful.


A new part of the garden tucked away in the forest is a memorial for the Tsunami in Japan








I had a lovely time there then finally made it into town thinking I would check out the gallery, shops and have dinner.  But I am just not cut out for shopping.  It all felt too busy and my favourite restaurant is no longer in business…..so it was back to the beach for me where I could walk forever, be in awe of the surfers, and watch the sun go down.  The best part was getting enough cell connection to wish my granddaughter a happy 13th non-birthday. 

This guy held the waves the longest


Until he didn't and even then he was graceful in his going down


It is really nice to have lots of young people around.  Hadn't noticed how many people my age are on the route I have come until I got here and it is a different culture


I was so busy taking pictures of bubbles I didn't notice the wave coming in 
and soaked my feet and pants


















1 comment: