Sunday 1 May 2016

Iowa Roots



I was up with the geese this morning hoping to get ahead of the rain but no such luck.  It stayed with me through the day but not as rough as yesterday. I must say the stress of rain on wet roads, wind gusts and endless numbers of trucks is wearing. There are no tolls in Iowa, maybe not enough traffic to make them profitable, certainly enough trucks.

The good thing about the rain is that everything growing low to the ground is so green, like Ireland. The leaves aren't out much but a tree with rich purple flowers is blooming in wind belts along the road. I had no idea Iowa was so beautiful. I imagined miles of cornfields but the agriculture along the hwy is very mixed, and the landscape is gently rolling hills. With the mix of forest, til, and new crops the lines and patterns and colour was beautiful.  So many pictures not taken. My great grandparents farmed in Iowa and migrated to Alberta to homestead. There is much similar and it is no wonder hey were happy here.  Iowa seems to 'work' in the same way Ohio did. Things look well cared for, not much falling apart.

If the weather had been better and if today wasn't Sunday I could have gone to the Amana Colonies, tried Strider out on the gravel roads to tour the Bridges of Madison County, or visited the oracle of Omaha Warren Buffet. They will have to wait til next time.  By the time I got through the traffic in Omaha and made it to Lincoln I was so tired I skipped the sodden campground and found a hotel to recharge my batteries and catch up with my family. 

The forecast is for better weather from now on. I am looking forward to meeting up with a friend in Colorado tomorrow. We will caravan the rest of the way to Moab which that will make the journey more fun and much easier on my spirit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment