Wednesday 4 May 2016

Alive at the Top of the World

We were up early and decided to stop at the Apple Store in Denver to pick up a couple of things.  Thank god for GPS’s but even with them it was a big challenge to navigate through the traffic that went on for miles and miles. Not as bad as Chicago and Cleveland in the rain but stressful. We passed a lot of homeless people at the intersections before we found the mall, which was all very fancy and seemed incongruous to what we had been driving by. 

I’m supposed to be careful of high elevations and somehow I  hadn’t taken into account that there are several passes from Denver to Moab that are over 10,000 feet.  I had quite a bit of trouble with them and was grateful to have a friend with me.  It was probably harder on him than it was on me, well maybe not as I almost burned the breaks out on Strider.  I thought I was loosing the back axel or the tires were falling off.  We had to stop on a steep part of the hill going down Gary figured it out right away and told me to put it in manual I had forgotten how well it worked  last fall. Anyway we waited until everything cooled down then coasted just about all the way to Fruitopia. 


The weather got warmer and the leaves bigger with every mile down. They gave us a nice campsite, we went for dinner and a walk along the river. It feels wonderful to walk in the sunshine and feel really warm. Now I’m ready to crash


This is the beginning of the dessert



No comments:

Post a Comment