Saturday 30 April 2016

Rain, Rain, Rain



Well today is a different story. It rained the whole 440 miles including the worst two hours of the trip navigating the traffic around Chicago. I was on the road again at 7 and took breaks for breakfast, lunch and a rest stop but there didn’t seem much point sitting around because the rain isn’t going to stop until later tomorrow.  There is a lot of construction on I 80 and the single lanes can go on for 10 miles. I almost didn’t mind because there was no passing but so slow. When there wasn’t construction there were times when I could hardly see the trucks in front of me and also had to go really slowly.  By the time I got off the I80 at Rock Island (one of the quad cities on the eastern edge of Iowa), there were just the big trucks and I left on the road. I kept going so I could say I did this. Having done it I don’t want to do it again. 

The lady that checked me into the campground says it is snowing in Denver, flooding in Texas and there were tornados somewhere, so it could be worse.  Here I have new leaves on the trees. I’m looking over a little lake that had geese and their babies paddling around when I first got here although now it's too rainy even for them. 

I think the story of this trip is about what a difference the weather makes.  On the way over in the fall I had two days of rain in six weeks. In two weeks on this trip I have had 2 days of sun.  I am lucky that I have Strider who is well insulated and has a good furnace. If I do come back I would come in the fall and do the route from Chelmsford to Chicago again. It is full of places to visit but it is too early in the season weather wise and a lot of places and parks aren’t open yet.  The worst of this weather system is supposed to be over tomorrow and I hope I will have a perkier post next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment