Saturday 23 April 2016

In The Air And On The Road Again


Welcome back to share the last leg of this Odyssey.  I start out with mixed feelings. Edmonton is having it's warmest spring on record and my garden is coming up a month early.  It didn't help that the east coast has had one of the coolest springs. However I do want Strider  home for the summer and I miss my family in Chelmsford.  The closer the departure date the more I am looking forward to being here and the journey ahead.  

When I first arrived I had a great day in Boston starting at the ICA (see www.icaboston.org).  When I came out of the T station there was so much construction going on I couldn't figure out where the galley was and asked one of the construction guys.  He walked me around and told me that Boston hadn't had so many projects on the go there hadn't been anything like it for over 40 years.  The ICA was built in 2006 and for many years sat alone on the waterfront.  Now it will be dwarfed by what will soon surround it.  

Coming out of the Silver Line Station obviously not rush hour


In this section 1,300,000 sq ft of new retail space 


 A favourite restaurant being demolished




One of my favourites and a new piece using reflecting mirrors has been added



A Unique Collection of Paper Puppets by 
Geoffrey Farmer






I took the T over to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts to meet my friend for lunch and tour


There was a fascinating show on Textile Art everything from snakes, and videos of wearable art to 3D printing of clothing with various materials






There was a major display on Asian Megacities

Ai Weiwei built a bicycle sculpture to memorialize the loss of this mode of transport in Beijing



 Below is a small section of Subodh Gupta's kitchen It provides a small sample of what it takes to feed a small number of a growing population.


The three images below were taken inside a mental storage container the walls and ceiling of which was a miniature replica of the slums in Mumbai by Hema Upadhyay 






This image of Liza and I was taken in the middle of a Korean Installation
a strange counterpart to the above 



It was a great afternoon and then we went over to MIT, had dinner in a area full of young people with lots of good energy, and then onto Arcadia, a Tom Stoppard play.  It was smart, well acted and long.  My brain was overloaded by the time it was over. We could have stayed to listen to two Harvard profs discuss the science and philosophy behind the play but we were both done in after such a good day. 

Friday and Saturday

Chris and Quinn picked me up on their way back from a week at the Cape. So excited to see each other.  Quinn telling me of all her adventures. The whole day was all about catching up, re-estalishing our little routines and sharing stories. Everything was perfect until I went to bed and started thinking about all the things that could go wrong, Does propane go bad? Will it corrode the tank and just blow me up in the middle of the night? Do I really have to rotate the tires, Can I trust Ford to check the brakes because they are the only ones around here with a hoist that is high enough for the van? It is a lot cooler than I expected and I don't really know the terrane I planned to be travelling through.  Do I need to plan a new route? And on and on.....

In the light of day everything seems manageable again, but it will take some planning as time is short between when I leave here and when I need to meet up with friends in Moab.  So the roads less travelled may have to wait until I know I can get there on time.   










No comments:

Post a Comment