Thursday 28 April 2016

On the Road Most Travelled




 I spent some time exploring in Lowell, home of the first textile mills and Jack Keroac. It is a hard scrabble town struggling to reinvent itself. 






 I have had a wonderful time with my family. The morning I was to leave Chris cleaned Strider inside and out even shining up his tires. Such a kind, lovely way to say goodbye.  




It was hard to leave.  The road was calling, albeit not very encouragingly. The weather has been unpredictable and unseasonably cold and rainy. My original plan to go south to the Shenandoah Valley and west through Tennessee was derailed by weather. I am headed across country to Moab to meet friends before carvaning back to Edmonton.  They are the same friends I started my Odyssey year with learning how to travel with Strider so it is fitting I would finish by going to the place we began.. 

My choice of a northern route did not take into consideration that most campgrounds up here are not open until later in May.  My choice for travelling the I 90 was on the advice of Good Sam and two good old boys who know this route.  They were united in assuring me that is the fastest route to Chicago, has the least traffic in spite of having the biggest road markings on the map and is the prettiest.  So far I would agree, what they didn't tell me was that it also has $30 worth of tolls and this is only day one.  I'll think of it as a carbon tax and not complain.  

Google map says it is 5 hours but it was over 6 and I only stopped for two short breaks. The traffic was very heavy until Springfield then it eased off and made for a great driving day through the Berkshires and the Appalachians. In spite of the lack of greenery the hills and great swooping valleys, lakes and rivers made for a beautiful drive. As I neared my destination the clouds hung low and the temperature dropped.  I am pretty much on my own in a large campground filled with trailers with no one in them.  They lease their spots for years and leave their RVs set up.  It is a little weird to walk the 'streets' and no one around. They do a wonderful job of maintaining it but it is still cold and bleak.    



Big trees, bleak skies, no people






Same image different angle




First real sign of spring








No comments:

Post a Comment