Saturday 30 April 2016

Kasich Country



Finally a day that I wanted this trip to be about.  I woke up to a beautiful sunrise that spread across the whole sky.  A good omen and I was on the road by 7. 



Then a big bank of dark clouds held to my left and kept me company all the way to Buffalo and held off raining until I was down to Cleveland.  It rained for awhile but nothing serious.  Over the city the clouds were so low that I couldn’t see the tops of the downtown skyscrapers.

I love Ohio.  I was expecting and depressed rust belt but whatever is going on it definitely isn’t rusting.  They have the best freeways, Their bridges and overpasses are well designed, some beautiful and most look new.  The towns l’ve stoped in look more prosperous than many in upstate NY, Penn, and Mass.  I just realizedr that John Kasich was the Governor of Ohio.  What a shame he isn’t doing well with the Republicans. 


The East State Park by Sandusky is beautiful, has a huge bird sanctuary and they have free wifi.  I arrived here after a 7 hr drive and it was early enough in the day to get my 15,000 steps in watching the birds and the muskrats. Everyone was hungry and looking for a mate. There was a Tundra Swan,  Herons, a big Hawk, Blackbirds,  Warblers, lots I didn’t know, and the usual suspects like Canada Gees, Robins, Chickadees and Swallows.  It is a big park that once belonged to a founding family before the state took it over in the depression and turned it into a park., The campground is nearly empty I am in the pet area and the other campers all have dogs, all very friendly.  It is lovely and peaceful to watch the wildlife and walk along the lake.  Perfect day.  


As you can tell I really like the trees
t








This area below Lake Erie is near the end of the shield area. This rock still has the scrapes from the glaciers.  There are signs of three different glacial periods here.


No comments:

Post a Comment