Tuesday 3 November 2015

Tokyo Day 1 and 2 Travel and Asakusa Area


Day 1: Travel Day


The hardest part was saying goodbye to little Quinn.  Last night we had a long talk about when I would be coming back and why it couldn't be in just a few sleeps.  This morning she barred the door and said she would charge me $103,000 if I left and $1 if I would just stay in my room.  She is a stoic little one and gave in to big bear hugs and promises that I loved her as much as the whole universe before I left.

Everything from then on was a piece of cake. It was the most ridiculously easy trip I’ve had anywhere. Chris drove me to the airport Sunday morning with barely a car on the road by Boston standards. We got to Terminal E (international) a bit early and there was no one in it except me and a couple of cleaning people.  I had printed off my boarding pass so check in and customs took less than 2 minutes. I spent the next hour pushing around my new luggage and getting my steps in. The Dreamliner felt properly named, mid-sized, maybe 200 seats, quiet, spacious for economy and I didn’t have anyone next to me. Darkening the windows really helped make it easier to rest. They fed us a lot and were very attentive like butterflies around us. 

All my fears of getting out of the airport in Narita and to my hotel were groundless. I was off the plan, through customs and onto the limousine bus in less than 10 min.  I couldn’t believe it. There are about 12 lanes of traffic, going the wrong way like in England, but we were in an express lane and zoomed most of the way to my drop off. I had my maps and headed in the direction I thought was right but asked a Japanese lady for confirmation.  She had worked in TO for a few years and was happy to walk with me in her direction to show me my street about 5 minutes away.  I checked in, it was about 3 am my time but 6 pm here so I went exploring to unwind a bit.  Feels very safe, and an interesting combination of upscale expensive clothing, and high tech ‘concept stores’  then around the corner on the side streets are little noodle houses and convenience stores. Weirdly there is a Starbucks across the street so I will have my Earl Grey when I want it.

The hotel is attractive, smaller, 10 story, almost european style.  The room are Japanese size about 8x 20 feet. I have a small double bed, a well designed desk,fridge, and shelves.The bathroom has a big window looking over the bed, a heated toilet seat with temp controlled bidet, and a small bath/shower. I love my room and asked the man at the front desk if I could keep it when the others came. He was happy with me. 


Day 2 

I was asleep by 9 and awake at 3 but after reading up on things to do was able to get back to sleep and now am ready to get on with the day. I think I’m really going to like this country, time to get out and see if that’s true.  



                             The Gates that eventually lead to the Temple


The Market leading up to the Temple


Masks for festivals


Shopping for handbags?

It is true.  Today was a holiday and I had a great time taking the subway up into the Asakusa area where they were celebrating something to do with storks I think as there was a parade of women dresed in stork costumes with priests or monks being drawn behind them. It has a beautiful Kaminarion Gate that takes you through blocks of market, food and souvinier shops until you come to the famous Sensouji Temple, then further on a 5 story Pagoda, and the Main Hall. Surrounding area has many other statues, memorials, and things I don't understand yet. There is an incense place to cleanse yourself before going into the temple. There are also a places  to write or choose prayers and tie them to strings, I don't understand that process either. It was also a time for families and there were lots of young girls to dress in kimono's and make like geishas, vey sweet.


                              The Five Story Pagoda, she was posing for her boyfriend


                            The closer to the Temple the more crowded it became


People took cleaning themselves seriously


The Priest at Prayer


            The Dragon on the Ceiling along with more beautiful images though less dramatic


One of several memorials to famous people


  There were several places like this where you could pay money to make wishes.More later



Another Market


                                        The side streets some little shops not so prosperous






The Geisha's in waiting


.

Some may not approve


The Celebration but a lot of people watching and even with my height, hard to get a view


 

On the way back I was going to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art but one of my subway 'helpers' pointed out that it was a holiday and the gallery would be closed.  The subways are fine, there are ticket men to help but all I have to do is take out my map and someone comes up and asks me if they can help. Tonight I explored around my neighbourhood. Japan is a photographers dream, not just all the images to photograph but because everyone is a photographer, even little kids. 




This is the South side of the Tokyo Train Station, they preserved this from the original times and there is a fancy hotel in it.  It is really a city unto itself with all kinds of designer shops, restaurants, food,travel services.  24 different train lines come there on multiple levels.  Even people who live there need to ask for some trains.  I am on the North Side Yaesu exit and it looks super modern with huge high rises on top of the train lines. Yet my street which is a 5 minute walk has cherry trees, little shops and the hotel is smaller, only 10 stories.



So after 24 hours I’m loving Japan.  I love my hotel and the little room that is not dissimilar to living in Strider. I love how easy it is to get around, I love that all I have to do is take out my map and someone stops to ask if they can help.  I love the combination of high tech, designer clothes, great art next to kitzy kittens and side streets full of little noodle houses, ticket sellers, bicycle stands. I am located in the perfect place to get around and it is so safe at night. The troops don't arrive til tomorrow night so I still get another day on my own. There is also a Starbucks across the street when I am in the need of and Earl Grey fix. Lucky, lucky me.  


  

1 comment: