Tuesday 24 November 2015

Coming Home

Wanting to make the most of my last hours is a great motivator. I had a last breakfast with Liza, packed up and went for a farewell walk through ‘my neighbourhood’ and along the river. Everyone has been so friendly and kind I have a hard time thinking I am actually leaving and will probably not be back.

The shuttle to the Osaka airport was easy. The freeways are fast but it is like driving in a tunnel because of the high barricades on either side. Osaka goes on forever and I thought I could tell the subway stations by the clusters of high rises. The industrial area made refinery row look like a toy set. The airport was busy enough for me but not overwhelming.. The lady at the check in desk took pity on me because I was going onto Canada and said it would be ok to take all three bags as carry on's ‘just this one time’.  It was a long trip home even though I arrived an hour before I left.  I was glad my friend met me and we could share a meal and catch up a bit before I crashed. 

Reflections on the Odyssey

It has been 12 weeks to the day since I set out and my first thought is that it is good to be my age and feel like I am still learning about myself and the world around me. I have had a much needed time out to recalibrate, live at my own pace and discover what is important in my day to day life.

I liked the balance of half the time in Canada, one quarter in the US and the same again in Japan.  I also liked the balance of time on my own, time with family and friends and time with a new culture and a new group in Japan.

I like the rhythm of shooting every day, working on my images in the evening and writing my blog posts before bed.  I want to keep the same sense of rhythm and productivity in my daily life at home. 

I’ve learned not to worry about being lost. Sometimes being lost helps you find the best experiences.  I feel more confident with my ability to handle new situations and problem solve unexpected challenges. Finally as they say it is the journey and not the destination.  

So until the next adventure thank you to all who have shared this one with me.  It is a comfort to know I have had your company along the way.  Til next time.....










No comments:

Post a Comment