Wednesday 4 November 2015

Tokyo Day 3 Uneo Park, Cemetery and Bathhouse Galley

I woke up at 3 and could only doze after that so worked on images from yesterday and posted them before I left for Uneo Park.  Tak's parents gave me the itinerary for the past two days and it was perfect.  I have been taking the gold line to avoid having to figure out Tokyo Station. I think I'm ready for it now but it was easier to walk an extra block to have a simpler system to figure out.  

At any rate Uneo Park is wonderful. There are still song birds everywhere and it was so lovely to walk along listening to them. The park is huge with ponds, fountains, temples, stone lanterns, memorials and gardens, all linked by paved paths, bicycle routes and places to eat like Starbucks and  restaurants. Around the perifery is the University, art galleries, museums, science centres and libraries.  It is just a wonderful concept to have in the middle of the city.  I don't have a context for what I'm seeing but it is fun to discover on my own and the pictures will be with me later when I do understand in more depth what they are about.  






There are huge stone lanterns, I'm curious about how they lit them
and how far thelight could be seen






Toshogo Shrine


Everything was gold leaf









A Memorial for what I don't know but it was one of my favourite


This doesn't' show very well but it is a beautiful Bonsai
  and through the circle you can see down through the park

It took me hours to work my way around and before I was finished I went further north to visit a highly rated smaller, modern art galley. It is in a renovated bath house and simply called The Bath House. I walked through wonderful neighbourhoods and found a cemetery and a saki museum on the way.  The gallery was closed but when I asked a couple passing by if they knew when it would be open it turned out they were the curators who were preparing the next show.  They invited me to come in so I could see the works.  There were only three huge paintings already hung but they were amazing...kind of vividly coloured Mark Rothko's., which I really liked. It was a long walk back to the metro but the weather was perfect, I stopped at Starbucks for a pumpkin sandwich and tea then headed home. 




                                                     From the Cemetery

We had a somewhat disorganized dinner as half of us had been here for 2-5 days and the others were late landing because of volcanic ash from th
e volcano errupting in Bali.  They were rightfully tired.  Dinner and orientation was short and to the point. There are 18 in our group I am the only Canadian.





No comments:

Post a Comment