Saturday 17 October 2015

Plymouth or as it was called Plimoth

Plymouth

I played tourist today.  Went to see Plimoth Rock, which isn't really 'the rock'.  In the 1800's they decided it must have been close enough and moved it to it's present location.  It cracked when they moved it and had to patch it up.. So began a day of displacing myths with more honesty. 




The home of  Plimoth Rock



                                               The literally mythical Rock

When I saw the replica of the Mayflower floating in the bay I had to go on. It would have been cramped but there were large chests all around the edges of the living quarters filled with family treasures, good china, prized pieces of furniture, big double beds.


A replication of the Mayflower


                The sailors did not fare so well although they all got the same things to eat.

The next stop was a tribute to the tribal chief of the Wampanoag who saved the pilgrims from starvation their first year and taught them how to survive. Today his descendents observe a national day of mourning on Thanksgiving. 

I stopped at the Grist Mill to see how corn is ground and at the art gallery to see the annual competition for local artists, of which there are many.  



                                                 The Grist Mill.  I liked it.                                          

From there I went to Plimoth Village to see both an Indian village and the 1690's village with all the people in character.  The first myth to be challenged was that the pilgrims weren't poor and didn't come for religious reasons.  They had enough money to pay their fare plus buy shares in the company sponsoring the venture on the promise that they would get 100 acres per share and most bought 5 shard.  In England at the time the best even middle class people could ever hope for was 20 acres. what struck me about this village compared to prairie reconstructions was the huge number of fences and high ones at that. I asked one of the 'pilgrims' about why they did it and he said 'Because God loves order".  Made me laugh. I had a great day learning and it was refreshing to be getting stories that didn't seem white washed. 




A Bleek Welcome and Such a Weak Fort


Fences every where





He was barely tolerating me.



 God loves order and so does he




The weavings in the village were beautiful and complex in design and materials. Many from the tribe could speak multiple language because the Spanish, the Dutch and Germans were all coming to trade.

When I got home I took out most of my things and parked Strider in his storage place. We still have work to do but I think this will truly be our last adventure this fall. I leave for Washington in the morning and won't have the computer so no more posts until next weekend. 


 This was engraved on a resting bench.  It suits my spirit especially when my little Quinn is so happy to have me back and so are her Mom and Dad.



No comments:

Post a Comment