Monday 12 October 2015

Pawtuckaway and Chelmsford

October 7 Pawtuckaway State Park




What an amazing day it has been.  I got an early start this morning shooting the mist on the water then headed out on the Kangamangus.  It is New Hampshire’s version of  our Icefield Parkway only with high hills covered in color rather than snow.  On a map it is only a 2 hour drive but after that time I hadn’t made it a quarter of the way.  There are pull outs everywhere and each of them worth a stop.  It was a beautiful warm day and the colours were at their peak, in fact the trees on the top of the highest ridges had already lost most of their leaves.  The traffic was ok but this weekend it will be bumper to bumper.  I am grateful I could do it now.  After reaching the summit it is a long coast down for what feels like forever.  The trees on either side hug the road and created a warm filter.  My trusty sunglasses just made the natural colours look garish.

I met up with Chris and Quin at her dentist’s near lake Winnipesaukee. So happy to see them.  After her check up he guided me to his favourite campground and it is so beautiful it is going to be my favourite as well.  We checked in, set up Strider then went to dinner in town.  Afterwards Chris drove me back to the park.  I think he wanted to make sure I was set up ‘proper’.   He prepared hot chocolate and the three of us sat on the edge of the lake watched the stars come out and made wishes.  A perfect end to a wonderful day. 







Day 2

Was just as good.  I continue my winning problem solving streak.  In the big storm the bicycle chain got wet and rusty.  I have been worried about whether I could ride with it like that.  I remembered my high tech lithium spray and tried it on the chain.  It worked perfectly.  I went for a long bike ride through the park.  It was great biking weather sunny, perfect temperature, lots of ups and downs.  I stopped in at the office to pay for another night and they told me about a place that rents kayaks and will deliver and pick up to my site.  I called and sure enough they would do it for $50.  While I waited I thought I would try the Lithium spray on the duct tape residue and it worked tickety boo.  I finished just as the kayak 
arrived.








The guy delivering it has a son in Alberta and a sad story to go with it.  He was very sweet and helpful.  I thought I would just go around the islands in my bay but it felt so easy I went under the bridge and paddled around the islands in the next two coves.  It was so smooth and effortless I almost forgot how to find my way back home.  I stopped for half an hour for tea then went out again until til dusk. I saw Cormorants, an Osprey and two loons who weren’t at all afraid and came quite close to my kayak.  There were several other kayakers and all of us happy to be out on the water.  After I got back I went for a walk to find sunset shots and stay warm. When the sun goes down it cools off quickly.  Not wanting to miss a moment of my last night on this part of my trip in the van I wrapped myself up in my down quilt, sat beside the lake and watched the stars come out. 




October 9 Chelmsford

Last night was cold and this morning was dull and misty. As I left it started to sprinkle by the time I got onto the I95 it was raining and got so bad I could hardly see the car ahead of me.  If I needed a sign that this stage of the trip was up this was it.  I took the first exit to an outlet shopping centre and waited out the weather. When I pulled into the drive I was so glad to be home with my family. 

I can hardly believe it has been six weeks since Strider and I set out together.  He has done well by me.  We have put on almost 9,000 km, definitely not as the crow flies.  He needs a good cleaning, check up and oil change.  We will winterize him before being put to rest in a safe place until the spring. 

I won’t be posting while I am with the family.  I am going to Cape Cod for a couple of days and will post images then and again when I’m in Washington DC learning how government works (or doesn’t). I think it will be a really interesting time to be there. 




Chris, Amy and Quin





No comments:

Post a Comment