Sunday 4 October 2015

Freeport/Durham Maine

Freeport/Durham Maine


I woke up early, anxious about heading out on my own again after the ease of being at Hope’s comfortable home. To give a perfect end to our visit we went to Freeman Paterson’s place on Shampers bluff just up the road from her place.  It was early, the light was good and we had a great photo shoot in his wonderful garden.  I was there 13 years ago for my first workshop and it made me happy to be back.  He doesn’t mind people coming to photograph but he has high quality speakers around the garden to scare away the deer. They are triggered by motion detectors and when we came they started to play the most beautiful music.  It was lovely to walk through the forest and gardens with the early morning light and the beautiful music floating through the air.  If I was a deer I think I would want to hang around.  Anyway it was a great way to start the day and end our visit. 


The view from Freeman's place over the St. John river














                             The Ferry taking me to the next leg of the journey


When we got back I packed up said goodbye and headed out for St. Andrews but when I got to the turn off I decided to keep driving.  I had been feeling so punky I didn’t want to be outside and feel cold. With my sun glasses on the fall colour on the trees was brilliant, without my glasses, not so much.  Besides the bad storm there has been no rain and and lots of heat. Many of the leaves in NB and here have just dried up and turned brown.  People are not expecting a colourful fall, but rose coloured glasses make the most of what is there. 


I also wanted to get into the US and on with the next stage of my journey.  The customs guy was very nice while he asked all the right questions to make sure I had a home to go back to and wasn’t planning on staying too long in his country.  The I95 is a good freeway  with little traffic this time of year.  After the troubles with washed out side roads, Strider and I were both grateful for a smooth ride.  Six hours later I ended up between Freeport and Durham, checking into my first KOA campground.  It is off the beaten track in the wilds of Maine, quiet with a good hiking trail which I badly needed after all that driving.  I want to feel rested and hopefully over my cold when I get together with Chris and my little munchkin later this week.  Now it will be easy driving to meet up with them.  



                                    The most colourful tree in the campground

No comments:

Post a Comment