Thursday 22 September 2016

BC Odyssey: Heading Down the Highway


Edmonton to Thompson Creek Camp Ground



It took awhile to get everything done before I could go.   I thought I had lots of time and it wouldn’t matter but…  I didn’t take into account how beautiful Hwy 22 would be and it just got better on Hwy 11 at Rocky Mountain House.  Along the way I got two phone calls, one from a grand daughter wanting to know if the two of us could go to Africa then a set back call from my security company that there was an entry alarm and did I want them to call the police.  The house looks abandoned with no Strider and no car in front of it so I said fine.   Then I lost cell coverage before hearing back. I was anxious wondering what happened and was so far up Abraham Lake I had given up hope when the phone rang.  My son and young grand daughter wanting to tell me of their adventures and check up on me.  After it was such a relief to find an email saying that there is a problem with the sensor, no break in. 
 I felt free to enjoy the views and reflections along the lake and grateful the traffic was so light I could stop just about anywhere. 







Well grateful there was no traffic until I got to my planned campground and found it closed.  I talked with an old guy by the gate and he said “Well maybe you could find a campground still open up the road but you know, nobody comes along her after the long weekend, everything pretty much shuts down”  Suddenly the lack of traffic felt ominous and having the road to myself not so much fun.   I found three campgrounds and sure enough closed or not a soul in them.  It was getting late and I was afraid I would be trying to get a room at the Saskatchewan River Crossing for a ridiculous amount of money.  Luckily I saw the sign for Thompson Creek and turned in.  It also looked like no one was here but then at the end I see a large trailer and a grizzled old guy hobbling along the road.  He is the camp attendant and tells me “For $27 you can get a wagon load of wood, water from the hand pump and old fashioned biffies”.  There are 50 plus sites and I see the other 4 campers all set up close to him. I make it 5. 

I went exploring and found one intrepid camper alone in the big loop on the far side of the bridge.  I was testing out two lenses but in my enthusiasm I knocked my good workhorse lens off the side of the bridge.  It landed 12 feet below half on a rock and half in the creek.  Feeling sick and sure it was done for I scrambled down the bank, pulled it out of the water and to my amazement the glass wasn’t broken and the cap on the back had protected the connections to the camera from getting wet.  I dried the outside off as best I could, hurried home and dried it some more.  Just to make sure not to put it back on damp I went for another shoot with the wide angle and tried to imagine how I would get by the next three weeks with nothing but it and a macro.  



The Infamous Bridge


When I got back with 13,000+ steps I tested my poor lens out. The picture below is not stunning but for me it is most beautiful because it works.  Hopefully tomorrow it will continue to work.    



The logs were too big for a fire and the temperature is dropping as the sun goes down.  It’s fine by me as I can write this, work on my images and re-discover the comfort in the familiar routines of living in a small space.  All’s well that ends well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment